2017 Election Process for Voters

Where and when can I VOTE?

The Election will be held on Monday, Oct. 16, 2017. Three Hills will have one voting station — the Three Hills Community Memorial Centre (222 Main Street) - open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

What do I need for ID?

In order to vote in the upcoming municipal elections, voters will be required to provide proof of their name and home address. The following types of verification meet the standard provincial requirement for one piece of identification:
  • Identification issued by a Canadian government, whether federal, provincial or local, or an agency of that government, that contains a photograph of the elector and his or her name and current address
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence for Tenant Elector issued by the authorized representative of a commercial property management company
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence for Incarcerated Elector issued by the authorized representative of a correctional institution
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence issued by the authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence for Post-Secondary Student Elector in Residence issued by the authorized representative of a post-secondary institution
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence for Homeless Elector issued by the authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless
  • Attestation of Identity and Ordinary Residence for Elector in Long Term Care or Supportive Living Facility issued by the authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre
  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income/property tax assessment notice
  • Insurance policy or coverage card
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement 
  • Statement of government benefits: e.g. Employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support, or child tax benefit.
  • Utility bill: e.g. Telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate
If a voter’s identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address,it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable proximity to the voting jurisdiction. An elected authority could, by bylaw, require additional verification or a combination of verification to establish the person’s specific current address.
Find the complete list of acceptable ID's and Frequently Asked Questions  HERE

Am I eligible to VOTE?

You’re eligible to vote if: (1) You're at least 18 years old; (2) You're a Canadian citizen; (3) You've lived in Alberta for the six months immediately preceding Election Day; and (4) Your place of residence is located in the area on Election Day.
What of I can't make it the the voting station on Election Day? 
Frequently Asked Questions 

If a person has resided in a municipality 24 hours prior to the election, are they eligible to vote?

A voter must be at least 18 years old, a Canadian Citizen, have been resided in Alberta for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day and their place of residence must be located in the area on Election Day (s. 47 of the Local Authorities Election Act).

The rules of residency indicate that a person only has one place of residency at a time for the purposes of voting. Therefore, if a person is only visiting, they are not eligible to vote in that municipal election (s. 48 Local Authorities Election Act).

Do I need to be a Canadian citizen to vote in a municipal election?

Yes, you must be a Canadian citizen. You must also have been a resident of Alberta for at least six (6) months immediately preceding Election Day and your place of residence must be located in the area on Election Day (s. 47 Local Authorities Election Act).

Do I need to show voter identification when I vote?

Voter identification is required for local elections where a voters list is not prepared. The identification requirement sets a uniform standard of one piece of picture identification or other authorized identification as indicated for the purposes of section 95(1)(a)(ii) of the Local Authorities Election Act that establishes the elector’s name and current address.

Local authorities may also pass a bylaw no later than six (6) months prior to Nomination Day which provides the opportunity to supplement the number and types of identification required to allow a person to vote. Check with your local authority as to whether a bylaw has been passed to ensure that you are aware of any additional voter identification requirements.

The general basic requirement for municipal elections is set out in section 53 of the Local Authorities Election Act and outlines a single piece of identification.

I own property in more than one municipality, can I vote in both?

No. A person may be a resident of only one place at a time for the purposes of voting (section 28 Local Authorities Election Act). An exception exists for summer villages. If you, your spouse, or adult interdependent partner is named on a certificate of title, you are also eligible to vote in a summer village.

If I own a business in a municipality, but do not live in that municipality, can I still vote in the municipality where I own my business?

No. You would not meet the eligibility requirements to vote. Your place of residence must be located in the municipality on Election Day. This also applies to a vote on a question in addition to the election of local offices (s. 47(1) Local Authorities Election Act).

If I am a renter, not a property owner, am I entitled to vote?

Yes, a renter can vote if they meet the eligibility requirements (s. 47 Local Authorities Election Act). A renter is also eligible to run for office if he/she meets the eligibility requirements (s. 21 Local Authorities Election Act).

Are employees allowed to take time off of work to vote? 

Employees who are electors have the right to have three (3) consecutive hours to cast their vote while the voting station is open (s. 58 Local Authorities Election Act).

If the hours of the employee’s employment do not allow for three consecutive hours (if the employee’s normal employment hours end at 5:00 p.m., the employee would have three consecutive hours in which to vote, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.), the employer shall allow him or her any additional time for voting that is necessary to provide three consecutive hours, at the convenience of the employer, and the employer shall not make any deductions from pay or impose any penalty on the employee.

Can anyone vote at an institutional vote if it is held with an advance vote?

Section 80(2) of the Local Authorities Election Act states that only:
An elector who on Election Day
(a) is confined to a hospital, auxiliary hospital or nursing home in the local jurisdiction, or
(b) is a resident in the local jurisdiction in a seniors’ accommodation facility,
that is established as an institutional voting station for the election is allowed to vote at that institutional voting station.

Section 80(4) indicates that an advance vote can be held for any residents of seniors’ accommodation.

Can a letter of attestation for residents in an institutional voting station e.g. seniors residence, be considered sufficient identification for the purposes of voting in a municipal election under the Local Authorities Election Act?

Yes. The Chief Electoral Officer has included ‘Attestation of Identity and Residence issued by the authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre’ as authorized identification with elector’s name and address. Therefore an authorized representative of an institutional voting station (e.g. seniors facility) may issue a letter of attestation to each resident of the senior’s facility for the purposes of voting in an election under the  Local Authorities Election Act.

Can I vote for both a public and separate school board trustee?

No. You may vote for either a public or separate school board trustee depending on residency. Residency is determined by faith. If you reside within the boundaries of a separate school district and share the same faith as those who establish the district, you are a resident of the separate school district, not the public school district (s. 44 School Act) 

Someone voted who shouldn’t. What do I do?

A note of objection can be made on the voting register, at the time a voter is making the prescribed statement. An objection to a voter can be made by the returning officer, candidate, official agent, or scrutineer on Advance Vote Date and on Election Day. The election staff will record the objection to the voter on the statement and file it appropriately. The voter is still permitted to cast a ballot once the objection has been recorded. Upon successful application to the courts, a person who votes knowing that they have no right to do so may be fined up to $10,000 or may be imprisoned for not more than 6 months, or both (s. 54 Local Authorities Election Act).

I’m going to be out of town on Election Day. Can I vote in advance?

All local authorities may choose to pass a resolution allowing for advance vote or special ballot opportunities. Please check with your local authority for availability of special ballots or dates and times of advance voting opportunities, if a resolution has been passed (s.73 & s. 77.2 Local Authorities Election Act).

The above information provided by Municipal Affairs (http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/local-authorities-election-act-faq)